Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Green Thumb Journey

For the last couple of years I have had a garden and I have to admit, I haven't been the best gardener.  Areas where I have stumbled include:  letting weeds overtake my garden and not keeping up on watering the plants.  Now I haven't been a "brown thumb" and just kill everything I lay a hand on, but I am a far cry from being a "green thumb."  I figured if I updated my blog throughout the summer on the progress of my garden, I just might keep up on my garden better - think of it as an accountability thing.

So, here is a look at my garden:

Salsa Garden plus Radishes, planted on May 19th
In my "salsa" garden I have planted five different varieties of tomato plants, six varieties of peppers, onions and radishes.  My goal with this garden is to be able to make and can some salsa at the end of the summer.  So you all know, I also keep a pot of cilantro in my kitchen, so I'll be adding that to my salsa too.

Salsa Garden on May 29th
I'm happy to report that so far I have been keeping up on the weeds (but I realize I haven't had too much of a battle yet), and I have been keeping up on daily care.  Everything is growing nicely so far.

I also love to plant pumpkins and gourds.  One mistake I made in the past was having my pumpkins and gourds in the same area as my salsa garden.  This doesn't work because the pumpkins and gourds overtake the entire garden, so this year I have a separate pumpkin and gourd patch!  I planted it yesterday, so you obviously can't see too much from it right now but I hope to have some nice pumpkins and gourds for LP to carve and share with family and friends.

Pumpkin & Gourd Patch
My plan is to update you on my "Green Thumb Journey" every couple weeks.  Here is to yummy salsa and lots of pumpkins and gourds!

7 comments:

  1. I love seeing other people's gardens! Weeds are a killer though..if you let them go too far, eventually you'll just give up. That happened to me last year with my corn, which didn't end up happening at all cause I just didn't weed it.

    I have a VERY LARGE garden, which I also need to do an update on. About half of my stuff is coming in already...but I need to weed the whole thing first :) It's embarrassing to put pics up with it full of weeds!

    I'll tell you, with your pumpkins growing so close to the corn, the vines are going to go straight for the rows of corn...mind did that a couple years ago. You'll just have to watch them closely so they don't take over. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pumpkin garden isn't where I would have put it but beggars can't be choosers I figure. That is where My Farmer put it and that is where it is going to be. I figure I'll just have to keep up on moving the vines closer to the barn verses the corn field. My original thought was to have it right next to the old cement lot off our barn that way I could just carry the vines onto the cement. It will all work out someway in the end I figure!

    Good luck with your garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really smartly written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your
    helpful info. Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback.
    My webpage :: Apartments in Bodrum

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are truly impressive ideas in regarding blogging. You have touched some
    good factors here. Any way keep up wrinting.
    Also visit my webpage - lägenheter till salu i Antalya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, yes this piece of writing is actually fastidious and I have
    learned lot of things from it about blogging. thanks.
    My web site :: Ferieleilighet Alanya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the recent comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea of bringing edible and ornamental gardening together certainly isn’t a new concept. The French have been doing it in their potagers (vege­table gardens) modern farm kitchen

    ReplyDelete