Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Happiness = Giving Up Things...

Last week I was reading a blog post from the Prairie Princess about "15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy" and I thought about those things today as I was busy comforting my 14 month old as he has a new molar tooth coming in, as I'm days late on responding to emails, and as I feel a little "behind" on getting things off my "to do" list done!

Anyways, I'd like to share with you the "Things."

  1. Give up your need to always be right.
  2. Give up your need for control.
  3. Give up on blame.
  4. Give up your self-defeating self-talk.
  5. Give up your limiting beliefs.
  6. Give up complaining.
  7. Give up the luxury of criticism.
  8. Give up your need to impress others.
  9. Give up your resistance to change.
  10. Give up labels.
  11. Give up on your fears.
  12. Give up your excuses.
  13. Give up your past.
  14. Give up attachment.
  15. Give up living your life to other people's expectations.
The top three "Things" speaking to me today are:
  • My Need to Always be Right - I need to remember to let things go and not always feel like I need to have the last word, or prove that I am correct.  This need has caused unnecessary stress and pain to me and others in the past.  I don't need that in my life, so I need to remember that I always don't need to be "right."
  • My Need for Control - I feel like my need for control kind of relates to my need to always be right, but at the same time they're different.  I've always been independent and have been known to not delegate very well...  Now people that really know me are laughing out loud probably right now because they know how little I like to delegate.  But if I am feeling overwhelmed by just "stuff" I need to learn to let go and either delegate or reprioritize my priorities.  And I feel like reprioritizing might need my attention the most.
  • My Excuses - At the start of this blog I gave excuses right off the bat about why I am just feeling a little bogged down right now.  If I stop giving excuses, then I have no other reason but to get things done that need to get done, as well as starting doing things that I may have pushed off for a long time because of excuses I gave myself.  
What "Things" would be best for your to give up?

Figuring out what I need to do to keep myself and my family  "in line" for happiness

2 comments:

  1. I love how you listed them out and then talked about which ones you need to work on most. I have been thinking a lot about priorities, and I have been so busy with my full time job, another part time job, AND the farm and ranch, that I have really had to start cutting out the frivolous things that I don't need to worry about...like the 6 different magazines that seem to come in my mailbox every month. I've had to throw some away just because I feel pressured to read them if they're sitting in my living room! Then it becomes something I have to do, instead of something I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like there have been a couple different times I have felt like I need to "simplify" my life, and this just might be one of those times I need to simplify.

    ReplyDelete