Thursday, August 28, 2014

Make a Blog Media Kit During Nap Time

Just like any stay-at-home mom, the kids' "quiet time" (aka nap time for MP and play quietly in bedroom time for LP) is a couple hour time frame that I try to get things done without four extra feet running around me.  Today I decided to focus my "quiet time" towards creating a media kit for my blog.  This is something I've been thinking about doing for probably over a year but have never sat down to do it.  And guess, what?  I was able to create a media kit in just one "quiet time"!  And - I did it using the free version of PicMonkey.  This is how I did it:

Make a Blog Media Kit During Nap Time

#1:  I researched what I needed in a media kit and decided I needed to include:

  • Information about myself
  • Description of my blog
  • Review, giveaway and sponsorship information
  • Companies/brand relationships
  • Blog Statistics
  • A fun profile photo
  • Contact information
  • Special project information

#2:  I created a PicMonkey collage placing my profile photo where I wanted it, so I could then use the rest of the blank template to edit.  (If you have a blog logo or header, you should place that in your collage as well before going to the edit screen.)  I used the free "Biggie Smalls" layout and changed the size of the collage to 1800x2400.

#3:  Under the edit PicMonkey function I then added overlays and text to create a fun and simple layout for my media kit.  I used banner overlays and Chelsea Market and Shadows Into Light Two fonts.  Use whatever layouts and text associate well with your blog.

#4:  I saved the PicMonkey collage as a jpeg and uploaded it to a tab on my blog!  Then under the PicMonkey image, I made sure to link my contact information and my Comments for a Cause information (because I also decided I wanted to share about special projects I'm working on).  Now whenever a company contacts me I can direct them to my media kit on my blog and hopefully it'll help them know and understand me and my blog.

Here is a look at what I created for free through PicMonkey:

Blog Media Kit example - using free version of PicMonkey

If you have a blog I recommend you take your next "quiet time", or a couple free hours, and create a media kit for your blog.  It is a great resource for companies that want to collaborate with you.  If you have a blog, do you have a media kit for your blog?  What do you recommend including?  Remember to Comment for a Cause!

3 comments:

  1. No, I do not have a "Media Kit" for my blog and didn't even know what it was until I read this post. I don't think I need one since I do not collaborate with any companies or do advertising with my blog. I do like PicMonkey though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I didn't know what this was until I read this post, but it's such a good idea and a great little project for nap time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and wonderful step by step tutorial. Thanks! I need to learn more about using PicMonkey. I have played around with it a bit but got distracted so I need to really spend some time working with it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete