Monday, September 1, 2014

September Comments for a Cause - Hampton Public Library

Happy Labor Day!  I hope you all were able to enjoy and relax for at least a little bit today.  Since it is the 1st of the month, it is time to talk about Comments for a Cause.  In the month of August I had a total of 26 comments, equally a $13 donation to the ELCA Malaria Campaign.

In the month of September I'm looking forward to donating $0.50 for every comment to the Hampton Public Library and their current projects they have going on right now to make the library more user friendly, including a new entrance to the the Children's Library & improved parking lot.

Hampton, Iowa Public Library

I have talked about my family's love and appreciation for our local public library in the past and thought what better way to promote our library, as well as encourage everyone to use their local library through this month's Comments for a Cause program.

I grew up going to my hometown's library and participating in "Story Time" as a child, and I have continued the tradition with my children.  I started taking LP to the library when he was just a couple of months old and MP's first trip to the library was at age Day 6.  We are so lucky to have such a great library just 15 miles away.  If you live in North Iowa or travel through, I encourage you all to visit the Hampton Public Library.  This Carnegie Library offers a wide variety of services for all ages, including these fun and unique things: book clubs, public computers (including a bilingual AWE computer), interlibrary exchange program (they'll borrow a book, movie, etc. from another library for you if they don't have it), eBooks, youth drama club and LP's favorite - children's "Story Time" (which is held on Tuesday nights and Wednesday mornings).

Currently, the Hampton Public Library is celebrating 125 years serving Franklin County.  And what makes this year even more special, is that the Library is currently working on creating a new entrance and access to the Children's Library, as well as improving the parking lot and adding a courtyard for the library patrons.  My family visits the library on a regular basis and I can't think of a better way to give back to this great service for our community than supporting their efforts through Comments for a Cause.

Do you have a library card?  Do you participate in programs at your local library?  If not, I encourage you all to sign up for a library card and see what your local library all offers.  If you have children, I especially hope you check out your local library's children's programming.  (And if you're in the Franklin County, Iowa area, be sure to check out Story Time, it starts up October 7th and 8th.)  Remember to Comment for a Cause!

21 comments:

  1. Yes, I use my local library, the one 5 miles east of us and the Waterloo and Cedar Falls libraries also. Great cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! And how nice that you have a couple libraries close by.

      Delete
    2. Use my in-town Coulter library every week or two...whenever my fresh stack is finished!

      Delete
  2. We love our public library. There is some stiff competition for popular titles around here though. That can be frustrating. Side note: My dad's college roommate lived in Hampton. He was the town vet for many decades. Dr. Flickenger. Small world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! And yes, small world - Flick was our veterinarian and we miss him very much.

      Delete
  3. You just reminded me I have to pay off my library fine:/ This is a great cause! I grew up visiting my library all of the time. 125 years is a long time to serve Hampton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got your fine paid! A nice thing the Hampton Library does is that it has a couple time periods each week where you can turn in your books and get all fines cleared!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I love even more that it's a local donation! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you do this! You have inspired me to do something similar on my own blog in hopes that others will follow and we can impact our world. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather! If you have any questions let me know!

      Delete
  6. Libraries are my favorite place so I fully support this Comment for Cause ! I think you and I have such similar interests when it comes to this stuff. I loved taking my boys to story time and craft time at the libraries when they were growing up and now the Mason City Library is one of my favorite places to go to write. Win win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we have such similar interests and tastes! I'd love to go to the Library to write but I'm usually having to watch two sets of little feet run around and enjoy the space instead... Someday!

      Delete
  7. We love going to our library every week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I love that you and your family love coming to the Hampton Public Library. Thanks for being such an awesome library user and helping spread the word about how important it is to use you local library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all you to do to make the library so great!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed reading your blog about the library, then some of your others as well! Thanks for donating to the HPL, it is a treasure beyond measure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! Thanks for commenting and stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I love this, Val! I grew up going to story time as well and I always loved checking out their puppets. As I got older, I would go there and read when I was supposed to be at My Grandma's (she was at work so no one knew)! Hampton is so lucky to have such a great place for kids to experience the joys of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Val......this is a wonderful and generous thing for you to do for Libraries everywhere! $20.00 can buy a brand new children's book. September is library card sign-up month! Libraries are off the grid. A book never needs to be re-booted; never needs a user ID or password. Thanks, Again Kim Manning Director

    ReplyDelete